Monday, December 7, 2009

Kannonzaki Revisited, Part 3





Once completing this flat stretch along the bay I'm back on Route 16, heading slightly inland and climbing  some rolling hilly terrain that steepens toward the top. It's less than a mile climb, with a fairly rapid descent on the other side (Note to self: That rapid descent will be a steep climb on the return leg). Then the road winds gradually down into an almost idyllic little marina that looks and feels like a quiet fishing village. Boats and launches predominate along the water, and again one sees little fishing establishments and people wearing rubber boots and carrying fishing gear.


Another gradual incline runs past the Yokosuka Art Museum on the right and comes to the Kannonzaki Keikyu Hotel and SPASSO Spa on the left. Very inviting. An alternative to taking the road past the Keikyu Hotel is to turn down a short street to the water and thence along a boardwalk (real boards this time) that eventually joins back up to Route 16 near the lighthouse. Expecting a chillier breeze as the overcast deepened, today I took the high road. I soon crested the small hill and came upon the welcome sight of the Kannonzaki Lighthouse parking lot, just where I had left it back in the summer of 2008.


Descending the hill toward the parking lot I was delighted to see the Jizo statue at the entrance is still there, and that someone is still taking care to properly clothe it. These simple, almost primitive statues are often seen in cemeteries around Japan, where they represent children who have died. Jizo is said to be the protector of children, women, and travelers. I surmise that this one is close to the lighthouse for the latter purpose. It was carefully decked out in a full length white faux cloak and plastic outer raincoat. A child-size knit hat and scarf completed the ensemble. Jizo looked warmer than I was.


A quick trip across the lighthouse parking lot to the bathroom and water fountain, and I was ready for the return run to the base and home. The rain began just as I started back, and it stayed with me all the way home. I realized I had totally blown the clothing decision at the start of this run. However, the breeze was mostly a quartering tail wind, so I didn't feel too cold or wet until I got closer to the base.


The rain increased all the way home, so I was a wet, cold, and tired runner by the time I took off my shoes in our foyer. All in all it was a great run, where I got to visit many fondly remembered sites along the way, and to be out and about in Japan is always rewarding.


I will continue to head in that direction for my biweekly long runs, expanding the distance every two weeks.  It's a great way to experience the local area and takes some of the monotony out of those time-consuming training runs.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike!

Inclines, getting rained on, chilling winds. You are such a dedicated runner. :-)

Hope you are all well. My Christmas show opens this weekend. I will miss seeing you in the audience this year!

Love,
Sandy

Kathleen Watts said...

Thanks for taking me on your run with you and I remember the path well. I never ran it mind you but I drove it often to the greatest roller slide in Japan. Good luck in the marathon, maybe someday I will have the strength to train for a 1/2!
Kathleen