Sunday, December 6, 2009

Kannonzaki Revisited, Part 2




After my refreshing stop in the neighborhood park, I continue my run along a thriving commercial area that includes a baseball batting range and three Wal-Mart/Target/Lowes look-alikes: Homes, Livin, and Ave. The going here is a bit congested with a constant flow of Japanese frequenting these shopping complexes by foot, bicycle, or automobile. Cars are the least threatening because the driveways are controlled by Japanese sentries with their lighted batons that resemble light sabres. Aware of my approach, they resolutely stop the traffic when I'm still a good 20 yards away. I always smile and say, "Arigato", and they always smile and bow politely.


Shortly after the enclave of home shopping malls I pass a large commercial fish market and then an inlet featuring several small fishing enterprises. Japanese folks in rubber boots and coveralls hustle about with tackle and gear. In the summertime there might be seaweed drying in the sun, soon to become nori. Logically perhaps, I good looking sushi restaurant appears just ahead.


About a half mile after the fish market I turn around an apartment complex and leave the road for the boardwalk (okay, cement walk) that runs next to Tokyo Bay for about a mile. To my right is Maborikaigan, a residential neighborhood where quite a few American naval officer families live. This whole area is built on landfill, and it is one of the more picturesque places I've ever run. On a nice day, people sunbathe on the rocks, but even on a cool, overcast day like today a few people are fishing from the edge, taking photos, or just out for a stroll or run. The bay is a panorama of water in motion, small islands on the horizon, and a plethora of ships and boats of all sizes and shapes. In spite of its beauty, this stretch along the water can challenge a runner, because it is unprotected from the climate, and leaves one vulnerable to whatever wind or weather whips off the bay. Today it was a crosswind, so even though it was cool it was not as annoying as the cold winter winds that blow directly in your face and cut your motivation in half. Enjoying the crispness of the breeze washing over me from left to right, I  did wonder what I would find here on my way back.


1 comment:

Peevish said...

I'm on tenterhooks.