Sunday, June 13, 2010

In The Line of Duty



I didn't really know Tom Coleman. I knew his mom, who was my first wife's sister. And I knew his cousins, who are my daughters, Jewls and Lisa. And I knew his older sisters, who were Jewls' and Lisa's contemporaneous cousins. And I knew his dad before I knew any of them, because by pure coincidence we were classmates before either one of us married. But I never really knew Tom except as a playful, happy child who always brightened those sometimes uncomfortable family gatherings when divorced parents periodically come together to celebrate their children.


Tom Coleman died tragically in the line of duty, carrying out his sworn mission to protect and to serve the lives of others. Though I never knew Tom as a young adult, I do know about service as a vocation. And I know how those who don the cloth of service sometimes pay the ultimate sacrifice. I have seen the lifeless visages of Marines and Sailors, Soldiers and Law Enforcement Officers who gave their lives before Tom. He joins a most elite and honorable company of warriors.


Tom's parents, grandparents, siblings, and cousins who mourn his loss are good people. They deserved to keep him in their lives much longer. But he died. Now, other grandparents, parents, siblings, cousins, and friends - who never knew Tom and never will - can enjoy the continued presence of loved ones in their lives, because of his service. For that he deserves a special place of honor in whatever life exists after death on this earth. And may those who mourn his death also find the strength to cherish his life of service and honor.


No, I never really knew Tom Coleman. But I know the cloth of service. So I am most honored to call him kin. I salute you, Tom. May you rest in peace and glory.


-- A Fellow Servant

No comments: