Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Flurry of Vignettes

Like much of life these days, graduation week arrived in a flurry of activity, assaulting the senses with cryptic yet dramatic vignettes of time passing all too quickly.


Was it not just yesterday that I would sling a backpack over my shoulder and carry 4-year-old Matthew through downtown Baltimore to daycare on my way to my MPH work at Johns Hopkins? Now he is almost 18 and about to graduate from high school in Japan.


Was it not just yesterday that we travelled to Dallas to watch James graduate from high school? Where we met Emily for the first time? Now they are young adults making their first trip to Japan to watch James' little brother commence.


Was it not just yesterday that the two still-living grandparents and various extended family travelled to Norfolk for Katie's high school graduation? She is now not only several years a college graduate, but completing a masters degree as well.


Was it not just yesterday that I travelled to Oregon for Lisa's high school and college graduations? She later earned an M.S. degree and is now a published scientist and married young adult.


Was it not just yesterday that I made that trip to Portland for Juli's (now "Jewls") high school graduation? She too has a masters degree, and is now a professional counselor, and raising two teenage children of her own.


Was it not just yesterday that I sat proudly in the bleachers for Michael's high school graduation in Scottsdale? He is now an accomplished architect, husband, and dad.


Was it not just yesterday that I attended the first of these seven rites of passage when Debi graduated from Horizon High School in Scottsdale? And she is now a successful occupational therapist and fabulous mom.


And, indeed, was it not just yesterday that I donned a black robe and walked down a church aisle with all eight of my fellow high school graduates from a small Catholic seminary in Tucson, AZ? 


That was a mere 46 years ago. At the time I figured to devote myself to a life of celibacy. That didn't exactly pan out. I liked girls too much. God had other plans for me, most especially to know and to celebrate the lives of these seven individuals whom I proudly call my children. 


God bless them, every one, and all my wonderful grandchildren too.

No comments: