Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dialogue




Minerva: "Now listen here, Flat Boy, what do you think you're doing in my space."


Flat Stanley: "I'm listening to Aunt Kathy read aloud."


Minerva: "I don't remember inviting you."


Flatty: "But Aunt Kathy is famous for her reading aloud. Everyone knows it's the highlight of her day."


Minerva: "I still don't remember inviting you. This is my personal Kathy time and you are invading my space."


Flatty: "Well, I am a guest in this house. And Aunt Kathy has taken me all over, so I'm sure she doesn't mind that I'm here. And there's plenty of room. I think you could share a little space."


Minerva: "I don't do sharing. Just ask CC."


Flatty: "I wish you would just be quiet so I can hear her read. It's all so interesting."


Minerva: "You gotta be kidding. A non-fiction book about hunter-gatherers and food producers or whatever? It is definitely not interesting. Frankly, it's one of the most boring books I've ever heard her read. She's got this thing lately about reading non-fiction, and it's driving me nuts. I wish she'd get back to her mystery genre. I so much prefer good fiction to this pseudo-science dribble."


Flatty: "Well, if you don't like it, then why do you stay and listen?"


Minerva: "I like the sound of her voice, even when it's boring. And the bed is warmer than the back porch."


Flatty: "I don't know. It seems a little strange to me."


Minerva: "Strange? You're talking strange? I'll tell you strange. You're a laminated cutout of a person and you're carrying on a conversation with a cat. Now that is strange."


Flatty: "Hmmm. Well, I'll tell you something, Miss Snobby Cat. You can call it strange if you want, but what do you think happens if you Google 'Flat Stanley'? You learn that I've got siblings everywhere and they are all doing exactly what I'm doing. They are stimulating the minds of millions of children all over the world. We are every bit as real as the imaginations of those boys and girls. So I'd appreciate it if you would just lighten up a little bit and let me enjoy my last day in Japan connecting with one of the most intriguing imaginations I've ever known.


Kathy: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3 comments:

Peevish said...

If you think Guns, Germs, and Steel is boring, just wait until we take a crack at Ulysses . . .

Minerva said...

I purr in anticipation.....

CC said...

When is dinner?