Friday, July 2, 2010

Converted

Okay, so maybe I was misguided (to borrow a Presidential term) in my April diatribe against the new Navy working uniform (NWU), colloquially know as "aquaflage." I certainly believe that a good leader should readily admit mistakes, so here goes (gulp, deep breath): 


I. Was. Wrong. 


There, I said it. Wasn't so hard, really, and felt pretty good. Why do some politicians find honesty so difficult?


At any rate, there I was, fully intending to hold out against buying the new duds for the remainder of my operational tour, and to wear instead my venerable wash khakis and coveted flight suit. Then I learned that the new NWU is the prescribed uniform for our upcoming humanitarian civic assistance visit to Palau. Well, it's one thing to be a non-conformist on board with fellow shipmates. It's quite another to be out of uniform when representing the U.S. Navy whilst providing needed medical care to an external population. We do call it a uniform for a reason.


So I reluctantly put aside my traditionalism to traipse over to the uniform shop and purchase one set of the new NWUs. This included rank and warfare devices to be sewn on by the NEX tailor, at an additional price of course. Still, I kept the cost below $200 by not buying the very expensive regulation parka and liner, since I doubt it will be cold in Palau. And I was delighted to learn that I can wear my 18-year old comfy leather flight boots instead of purchasing the newly prescribed leather boot. 


On the first of July I debuted my new flage uniform. Hmmm. Fits pretty good, even right off the rack. Feels like pajamas, and no need to tuck the shirt into that non-existent virtual space between waistband and belly. This may not be khaki, but I sure don't miss that cincture-tightening sensation as the day progresses. What's that you say? No ironing required? Now that's very nice. And all these pockets for stuff. I gotta admit, it's a lot more comfortable and convenient than what I've been wearing. Still, it's not khaki...


In the morning I felt a little self-conscious with the new look, but by the end of the day had completely converted to that uniform. I fully understand now why our sailors like it. It's comfortable, very forgiving of an average physique, and does not require a lot of care and maintenance; thus allowing them to devote their time and energy to the jobs at hand instead of the ironing board and mirror. It is, indeed, a very practical improvement over the panoply of uniforms currently sported aboard our ships.


The final conversion came with the compliments from colleagues who have nothing to gain by flattering me. I never heard this so many times in one day while wearing any khaki Navy uniform: "Hey, Doc, that looks really good on you." 


Sold!

2 comments:

BME said...

YOU are going to be providing medical care in Palau?

Mike J. Krentz said...

Not hands on, but giving talks on medical administration.