Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Vive Le Beouf

I am still basking in the triumph of my culinary foray last weekend. My last post on sauteing mushrooms even set a record for comments on my blog. (Okay, one of them was me, but still...)

Unfortunately, I won't be making a second kitchen venture for some time. Our ship departs next week for another forward forward deployment, and this weekend will be taken up by multiple train trips to/from Tokyo for the marathon: Saturday for packet pickup and the ever-fascinating pre-race Expo, and Sunday for the actual race. The last two times I did this race I was able to procure a protocol suite at the New Sanno Hotel, which is very conveniently located to both the start and finish lines. This year, however, I was not so fortunate. When I put in for a room reservation six months ago they were already booked for marathon weekend. (What a surprise...) Come to find out, quite a few local runners did get rooms, "because MWR reserved a block of rooms for runners from CFAY." Guess I missed that memo while I was previously forward forward deployed building maritime partnerships and engaging in theater security cooperation.

I could have gotten a room at the Tokyo Hyatt, which is literally on the starting line in Shinjuku, but at the current exchange rate the "special deal" of 290,000 yen for one night would be well over $300. I can think of lots of other things to do with that money, especially at the pre-race Expo. Kathy can think of even better things to do with it, alas not at the Expo. So, we took a pass on the Hyatt, and I will commute from home instead. Ironically, even with training it from Yokosuka to Tokyo I will have later arise and show times than I did for the New York City Marathon. There I had to catch the bus for Staten Island at something like 0530, which got me to the starting area in time sit/lay around and shiver for four hours before my start time. Yes, it was worth it in the long run, literally.

I will also admit that I'm not above a little pre-marathon gamesmanship. I enjoyed seeing my boss, who will run Tokyo for the first time (from one of the New Sanno protocol suites), visibly gasp when I told him I was going to commute from home to the starting line. I've managed to wow a couple of other senior officers as well. Actually, I imagine that I will see quite a few marathon-bound nihonjin on the train with me, because they would not have access to the New Sanno, nor would they consider paying anything like 290,000 yen to spend the night close to the start line. So this year will be a uniquely Japanese marathon experience for me.

So what's this all got to do with Beouf Bourguignon? A lot, really. I'm trying a few new things for this marathon, like not obsessing over my training mileage, taking a longer taper/rest period before the race, and Beouf-loading vice the traditional carbo loading. I've a notion to concentrate on protein vice carbohydrates for a change. So I'll let you know if the race turns out as good as the Beouf, which was excellent:





6 comments:

Diane said...

Looks like a good balance of carbs along with your beouf, so this RD thinks you'll be good to go for the race! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You will do great in the race! Did you check the other place down the street from the New Sanno. Harry stayed there once and it is not a 5 star hotel but a warm bed to stay the night before!
KCW

Mike J. Krentz said...

I didn't think to try Hardy Barracks, but now it's become a matter of principle...and a bit of an additional adventure. Since I won't be bragging about my time, I can be the one who traveled the longer distance on race day and spent less money doing it. Am I my wife's husband, or what?

Mike J. Krentz said...

Diane: Thanks for the balance perspective. We do tend to be balance-challenged around here at times. But you probably already knew that.

Picky Eater said...

Looks like you're aiming to set a new record for most self-comments.

Mike J. Krentz said...

Finished off the final leftovers while my resident Knitwit was at Starbucks. Matt had pizza. Just as Julia said, the beouf gains flavor with reheating.