Thursday, September 16, 2010

CPOs, Arriving


I love September 16.


Every year on this day the Navy refreshes its cadre of deckplate leaders by making new Chief Petty Officers. Today 7th Fleet and USS BLUE RIDGE held a traditional pinning ceremony, as did most Navy commands around the globe.


Chiefs run the Navy, as any senior officer will avow. Without our Chiefs' Mess the ships would not sail, the airplanes would not fly, the sailors would not get paid, supplies would not move, healthcare would not happen, the Navy would grind to a halt. Any sailor worth his salt knows what to do when faced with high challenge, stress, or ambiguity. Just ask the Chief. 


As an honorary Master Chief, this is the one day of the year that I really get to feel like I'm a part of that special community of Navy leaders. I proudly don my service khakis, my khaki combination cover, and my Master Chief's anchors, and I stand up with the real Chiefs to proudly salute these new Chief Petty Officers and welcome them to The Mess.


Officers who achieve success in accomplishing mission or furthering their own career will tell you, by name, the Chief Petty Officers who pointed them ever so subtly (or not) in the right direction on their way to success. 


I have been honored to serve with many outstanding Chief Petty Officers, and I respect and appreciate every one of them. Six played particularly cogent roles in my development and success as a senior officer. For our newest Chiefs, I fondly hope that they will some day stand alongside those true giants whom I am extraordinarily proud to call, "Shipmate":


Master Chief Paul Thomas
Master Chief John Prus
Master Chief Beverly Leedom
Master Chief Laura Martinez
Master Chief Marcos Sibal
Senior Chief Chris Moore


Navy Chiefs! Navy Pride!

No comments: