Saturday, August 14, 2010

Katchi...

ROK Fleet Naval Base, Busan, Republic of Korea


About 4K into the traditional USN/ROKN 5K Friendship Run, a young ROK sailor trots up alongside me. Since I haven't run much lately, I've set a deliberate training pace, not looking to set a PR or take any chance on injury. So I'm running casually way at the back of the pack. I expect this much younger, fitter ROK sailor will blow past me as quickly as he materialized from behind.

He does not. He matches my stride almost step for step. After about a half a kilometer more I realize he's not leaving my side. I believe he may have already finished his race. He's probably just being friendly and pacing the older American sailor at the back of the pack. (Maybe he's a medic...? Nah.) Whatever the reason, he stays with me deliberately. I am sure of that.


I may have felt slightly annoyed at first. I usually run alone. In a race no one seems to be on the same pace as me. Yet here's this ROK sailor, matching me stride for stride, silently and inscrutable. I begin to appreciate, then enjoy the experience. And so we continue through most of the last kilometer. We even pass a few others who have stopped or slowed to a steady walk.


The final stretch of the course runs first abeam the premier ROK amphibious ship. A few hundred meters beyond that lies the finish line, abeam our own U.S. Flagship. As we pass the ROK ship, I spot the finish line ahead. ROK and USN photographers are taking pictures of all the finishers as the back of the pack straggles to the end. Inspired, I catch my new running partner's attention and I tell him, "Katchi Kapshida. We go in together."* He smiles his understanding. We continue to match each other, step for step.


As we near the finish, we raise clasped hands high above our heads and cross the line together, triumphant not only for the attention and photographers' flashes, but for the friendship we demonstrate, friendship that extends beyond these two random sailors to include the two free nations working arduously together to preserve the peace in this part of the world.


Finally past the finish line we shake hands. "Kamsamnida," I say. "Thank you."


Later we pose with smiling, jubilant shipmates for a group photo. Friendship.


At the end of the event we all join the large group of ROK and US sailors who raise hands high, and enthusiastically repeat after the US and ROK Fleet Commanders:


English speakers: "Katchi Kapshida!"
Hongul speakers: "We go together!"


What a great way to start a day.


*"Katchi Kapshida" is the motto of the USN/ROKN alliance and friendship. It literally means, "We go forth together."

No comments: