Thursday, May 6, 2010

Not Back in the USSR

This morning I put on my service dress blues and went topside to photograph a momentous occasion, our arrival into Vladivostok (Владивосток), Russia.



(Followers of this blog already know that I've had problems uploading photos lately. Apparently it works better in Russia. I complain not.)


Several decades ago, my dad and a few of his siblings capitalized on an opportunity to tour the USSR. I don't recall the exact year, but I suspect that most of them were already older than I am now. It was an auspicious event for all of them, in spite of the restrictive entry requirements and control over their personal movements while in country. I know that they visited Moscow, and perhaps St. Petersburg. I am certain they did not get to see Vladivostok. As the headquarters of the Soviet Pacific Fleet, this storied port city was closed during those years, and not only to foreigners. Even Soviet citizens required special permission to enter.

Times do change. As a child of the Cold War, I was fascinated today as our Flagship pulled into that same naval base and moored alongside a freshly painted Russian cruiser. Sailors from both navies lined their respective rails in mutual honor and respect. Both national flags flew side by side on the pier. Similar to last year when we visited Vietnam, setting foot on this soil is a privilege and treat beyond my dreams. I continue to wonder how or why I am so fortunate at this stage of my life.




Unlike Vietnam and most of our other ports, there will be no bike riding or running here. Our purpose is to exchange friendship and camaraderie with our Russian counterparts. We will proudly wear our uniforms at all times, even at liberty.

This is a special weekend for the Russians as well. They commemorate "Victory Day", День Победы, celebrating the capitulation of Nazi Germany to the Soviets at the end of World War II. Three planned events highlight the visit: 1) A "Big Top" reception that we host on our deck; 2) Sunday Mass at Mary Mother of God Mission; 3) Our Sailors and Marines will participate in a multinational parade in celebration of Victory Day.

I certainly plan to digitally chronicle and share these events and other activities during our brief stay here.

I may sample some of the local drink as well...in the interest of international friendship, of course.

2 comments:

Frank said...

Nice to see new construction in the first picture. Not like China, I guess, but at least progress.

Mike J. Krentz said...

Interesting contrasts of new and old. Some crumbling infrastructure right next to brand new buildings. Reminds of Baltimore when we lived there in 1995.